Thursday, March 19, 2009

Random Facts

[This posting was originally written somewhere in Feb '09. But I've been editing and re-editing it for a while now.]

I was about to sleep last night or was it woke up in the middle of the night and suddenly thought about this. No, this is not a random facts note about me. But about my parents. I want to put this all down now while I still remember. And this is more for Aliah and Jannah when they grow up so that they know more about their Tok and TokMi, because I didn't know much about my own grandparents and by the time I feel like asking they are no longer around and my parents couldn't answer my questions.

1. They met in Batang Berjuntai, in the 60s. Apparently, Papa was there with a friend who fancied Mama, but somehow they hooked up instead. And the rest they say is history (I still feel, there's more to this story but I can never get a straight answer from either one of them)

2. They finally got married on 19 December 1969. Initially, they wanted to have the wedding earlier but we all know what happened in May '69 so it was postponed. The groom's side didn't even want to come to KL at that time for fear of the riots.

3. They bought their first house in 1970 and that is where they have been living until 2009. For a while they rented a house in Sg Way up till the point my eldest brother was born. The price of the house then was 110k. And according to their story, they had to borrow the downpayment from my maternal grandma. This was also because they just got married, and most of their savings were used to renovate my paternal grandparents home in Kg Melayu Majidee.

4. It was an easy pregnancy for Mama while she was carrying Abang, but for the next 6 years they kept trying for a 2nd child to no avail. I was born after 2 miscarriages and a total bed rest for Mama during the pregnancy.

5. Both of them are retired government servants. Papa was the KP of NPC when he retired and Mama was the GPK of SRK DJ. Papa took the optional retirement 7 months before his actual retirement for reasons I cannot publish here and Mama being the devoted wife that she is took her optional retirement at the same time. (they both retired in Oct 1994)

6. Papa is going on 69 and Mama will be 65 this year, and they both can still drive their own cars. And both cars are manual pulak tu! (By the time I got this posted, Mama just bought herself a new Myvi - which is auto so kena scrap the drive manual cars statement)

7. Papa still goes for his daily jog and Mama goes for her daily taichi session every morning. But now, I'm not sure whether they still do. Having moved to Bangi and all that.

I can't think of any other things to add on right now, but I will add to this list later once I feel there are things of interest.

4 comments:

Laila Abas @ Kay Abas said...

best kan dapat tengok parents kita can last long.. kita ni camna la plak.. hopefully macam tu gak..

Tg Suriyanor said...

semoga uncle n aunty berbahagia hingga ke akhir hayat. send my regards to them :)

Anonymous said...

nana, this one is actually from me, yanor.abaikan yg previous tu yek.semoga uncle n aunty berbahagia hingga ke akhir hayat. send my regards to them :)

LindaMunshi said...

What a great idea. This way, u'll keep their memories for generations to come. Well done Nana. You're parents seem like wonderful people in addition to having an awesome daughter. ;)