Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Exams!

So their first term exams began yesterday. And as usual, this kiasu mommy was freaking out. Mainly because we just found out there was to be an exam 2 weeks ago.

You see, under the PBS this first term exam was nullified since teachers would be busy with evidence and bands what not. But when the directive came that PBS was to stop while they studied it, the school had to scramble to assess the kids somehow. Hence, first term exam. 

I am pro PBS by the way, as I understand and like the idea and plan of ridding our kids from this exam based assessment. Do these people who are so keen to mansuhkan really understand the idea of PBS? Yes, some implementation ironing out needs to be done. Yes, the online keying system sucks. Yes, the student : teacher ratio needs to be reviewed and reduced.You only here from the teachers complaining all the way about how their workload increased etc, but does it mean the PBS idea is bad? Do the parents really understand the concept? What is there not to like about a system that lets your child learn / develop at their own pace?

OK, ranting about that was not the purpose of this posting.

Getting back to the exams.

"What?! You have exams?" *hyperventilate*

Studying has been lax since beginning of the year. Work books have yet to be taken out since bought 2 months ago. And I haven't even started coaching J with her Jawi! How is she going to even read the question to her PSRA papers, let alone answer them??

Udahnya, Mommy kena re-calibrate expectations.

Hopefully whatever they learn in school is more than enough to carry them through.

J came back full of confidence. Alhamdulillah. Because she is the one I worry most when it comes to accepting failure / setbacks. And the teachers help read their PSRA questions to the whole class. *phew*

As you can see I don't seem to worry about Aliah. I do. It's just I know her capabilities and I know she can succeed. Biiznillah.

Let's pray I will be OK no matter how their results are. Because we keep telling them it is the effort that matters most. And since I know they did try their very best. I should be OK kan?

No comments: